The River responds to COVID-19 in Dane County
The River established a COVID-19 Emergency Food Fund to meet the nutritional needs of food-insecure households in Dane County for the duration of the coronavirus pandemic.
In response to school closures and widespread impact by this global health crisis, the demand for The River's services increases.
You can help feed the growing number of local families in need by supporting our COVID-19 Emergency Food Fund and other programs of The River.
Our COVID-19 Emergency Food Fund is helping to provide:
- Boxes of groceries, including perishable and non-perishable food, for thousands of local households to pick up curbside at The River.
- Pre-bagged lunches for children delivered through MUNCH—The River's mobile lunch program—to 9 low-income neighborhoods 6 days a week.
- Ready-to-eat meals for families to take home through our newest program, called FAM (Family At-Home Meals).
By supporting this fund, you will help the most vulnerable members of our community receive the resources they need during this challenging time. No donation is too small—95 cents of every dollar donated goes to our programs and services.
Thanks to your support, from March 16 to December 31, The River provided:
- An average of 119 pounds of food and supplies to each household per visit.
A total of 3,315,064 pounds of food and supplies to 5,279 households, including 2,237 new registrations.
- (Note: New registrations per month doubled compared to before COVID-19!)
- A total of 46,669 MUNCH lunches in the following 9 Northside neighborhoods: Oak Park Terrace, Ridgecrest, Vera Court, Parkcrest Apartments, Brentwood Parkway, Packers Townhouse, Northport Apartments, Kipling Drive, as well as Kennedy Heights.
- A total of 35,969 ready-to-eat meals through FAM.
- A total of 3,273 deliveries of groceries to the homebound through River Delivers since the program officially launched in October.
Learn more about the impact of our COVID-19 Emergency Food Fund here.
When donating online, you might see a charge in your payment history as "Network For Good." This is the payment processing and donor management service we use to track and process payments. When selecting to "pay a transaction fee," you are allowing us to receive the full amount of your donation, then covering the cost of the fee that Network For Good charges. When declining this, you are still giving us a donation, but the fee comes out of the amount you pledge to us. Example - Accepted Fee: Gifting $20 to The River, you pay $20.75. Declined fee: We receive 19.25. This applies to every payment, including reoccurring payments.